Students in Years 1-6 at Ocean Road Primary School learn Japanese.
The Department of Education states that Benefits of learning a language are:
- Enhances literacy skills by comparing Japanese to English
- Improves memory and brain function
- Helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Fosters respect and understanding of other cultures
- Bilingual and multilingual children perform better at school
- Creates employment and career opportunities
- Enhances travel experiences
It also states that it is easier to start learning a new language in primary school for children to become more proficient in the new language.
Our Japanese program focuses on developing language learning skills and cultural empathy.
Students can learn Japanese language and culture through:
- Inquiry learning for students to learn Japanese culture and language through their interests
- Play based learning
- Authentic cultural experiences like cooking, Taiko, Sumo, traditional and modern toys, traditional dress, art and craft
Ocean Road Primary School often hosts students from Japan and holds Japanese cultural days and market stalls that also highlight our Japanese program.