Ocean Road Primary School promoting girls in Science at the 2017 STEM Expo at the Crown in Perth
Ocean Road Primary School attended the 2017 Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Expo at the Crown in Perth.
The Expo provided an opportunity for guests to:
- hear keynote presentations from recognised experts in the field of STEM education including:
- Sue Ellery, Minister for Education;
- Professor Peter Klinken, Chief Scientist of Western Australia;
- Dr Fiona Wood, FRACS AM, Director of the Western Australia Burns Service; Dr Rebecca Allen, Postdoctoral Fellow, Swinburne University;
- Mr Lee Watanabe Crockett, President, Global Digital Citizen Foundation
- learn about innovative STEM education practices from the schools involved in the Teacher Development School STEM Innovation Partnerships;
- learn about STEM education from recognised experts in the field;
- participate in practical and interactive STEM education professional learning and workshops designed to support teachers to increase student participation and achievement in STEM subjects;
- network with industry partners and other schools to consider innovative ways to engage students in real-world STEM experiences; and
- access contemporary resources that support the improved delivery of STEM education.
As a Teacher Development STEM Innovation school Ocean Road Primary School was invited to present our STEM story to the world. Through the excellent leadership provided by Mrs Harman and Mrs Smith, Year 6 students Hayley Kallenberg, Makayla Noyes and Imojen Bacon did an amazing job showcasing the remarkable things that are happening in each and every classroom in our school and promoting the importance of having females involved in Science. We are all very proud of the work that is being done at our school and are extremely honoured to have been invited to share it.